BQA's Value to the Industry
BQA does more than just help beef producers capture more value from their market cattle: BQA also reflects a positive public image and instills consumer confidence in the beef industry. When producers implement the best management practices of a BQA program, they assure their market steers, heifers, cows, and bulls are the best they can be. Today, the stakes are even higher because of increased public attention on animal welfare. BQA is valuable to all beef and dairy producers because it:
- Demonstrates commitment to food safety and quality.
- Safeguards the public image of the dairy industry.
- Upholds consumer confidence in valuable beef products.
- Protects the beef industry from additional and burdensome government regulation.
- Improves sale value of marketed beef cattle.
- Enhances herd profitability through better management.
Beef Checkoff supported BQA programs bring it all together. While the BQA Manual provides a framework for program consistency, the states still determine the best programs for their producers.
“Because the beef industry is so diversified, we wanted to allow states the opportunity to provide what is best for their producers. The BQA [Manual is the] overarching [protocol], providing some consistency across the state programs. They are good production practices to guarantee the quality of beef products,” comments Dr. Dee Griffin, DVM.